Friday, October 23, 2009

Fall weekend stuff

Quick hits for the weekend:

• A really well-done column about being a Browns fan. Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Bill Simmons can be looked at as a joke sports writer because he sits on his couch and writes like a fan—but he KNOWS the NBA. He's one of the reasons I got back into the NBA, and I put more behind his basketball knowledge than anyone else. Having said that, here is what he said about Shaq in his NBA preview. Needless to say, I remain dubious about the Shaq era:

"8. Shaquille O'Neal
Red flag No. 1: He's 835 pounds. Red flag No. 2: He has never successfully pulled off the whole "sidekick" thing; even to the bitter end, he was playing the big brother/little brother routine with Dwyane Wade. Red flag No. 3: He's splitting time with Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who might be a better fit for this particular team because of his outside shooting. Red flag No. 4: He has never, ever, ever, not in his entire life, played for a coach as offensively challenged as Mike Brown. Red flag No. 5: He doesn't have the luxury of Phoenix's training staff anymore. Red flag No. 6: He's so fat that it's like looking at one of those TVs where the HD is screwed up so it makes everyone seem wider. Red flag No. 7: The Suns traded him for two guys who they immediately bought out for a combined $14 million. Red flag No. 8: The Cavs are better off if he's playing 15-20 minutes a game and that's it. Red flag No. 9: He's so fat that it's possible Delonte West was packing three guns because he got confused and thought Shaq wanted to eat him. Red flag No. 10: He's awfully close to some records, which will make it awkward if Cleveland tries to reduce his playing time.

That's 10 red flags. Ten. (To be fair, Shaq doesn't look THAT fat. He just looks a little, um, heavy. Maybe it's the uniform that makes him look doughy for some reason. I just know that, when I saw the cover of Sports Illustrated this week, I couldn't figure out why Aretha Franklin shaved her head. Then I realized it was Shaq.) And that's before we get into the whole, "Shaq seems like a great guy, but if he's a great guy, then why did he leave four teams on really bad terms" thing. Be prepared for him to do more harm than good in Cleveland. One difference: If he crosses LeBron like he crossed Nash, he'll be getting the Braylon Edwards 48-hour ticket out of town."

• Here's a piece few will enjoy reading, but I liked it. A statistical analysis of centerfielders in the Indians' farm system. Proceed only if ye enjoy following Indians minor leaguers or statistical analysis.

A good read about new Cavs swingman Jamario Moon. I know a guy that fired this writer in college.

My takes:

• Minnesota has a good QB in Adam Weber and another Pryor-type athlete freshman QB they are starting to mix in—the type of QB that has given Buckeyes defenses trouble in the past. Pryor just needs to not turn the ball over and the Buckeyes will win because of their defense, but Minnesota is very sneaky. If Pryor plays like he played last week, the Buckeyes will lose again. That's not saying much, but what I am saying is: each week it is increasingly important to note the play of Pryor. I don't feel like getting into it now, but Pryor needs to stay at QB, even though I curse his life when he turns the ball over. We all need to really pay attention to what he does this week. He needs to protect the ball at the very least. That's how Tressel teams win games, and as a sophomore, that's all I really want you to do. Hopefully his LeBron pep talk paid off. I know I feel better after it happened.

(And Mr. Tressel, please run the ball with Brandon Saine. Please. This is Ohio State. Establish the run. That's all that I ask.)

• The Browns are going to win. Mark it down. I have no real reasons to say why this will happen, but I just have this weird premonition. This sentence may be deleted come Sunday night.

• I'm going to drink a whole bunch of fall beers this weekend. Definitely mark that one down.




No comments:

Post a Comment